Sunday, February 16, 2014

Cloud at fixed price

I've recently started looking for a cloud server provider because I wanted to have my own VPS. After digging through many nice options as Amazon EC2, Rackspace and Digital Ocean I stumbled upon this strange website: Cloud At Cost.

They offer "Pay once" plans that were a little too good to be true, but for anyone that's not looking for a commercial production server, the offer is pretty good. After some research through the web I learned that they're a new company from Canada and backed by a large telecommunications provider.

The features they include in the package are a Server Panel, a support service(ticket system) and DDoS protection.

From the server panel the options available are:
  • Start/Stop/Restart server
  • Reverse DNS
  • Upgrade to a higher configuration
  • Web console (alwful)
  • Re-Image the machine with: Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS, CentOS 6.4 or Debian 7.1
I've got myself a Quad Core Xeon with 2GB memory and 40GB SSD space. It has a limited 3TB network transfer limit(monthly), but for incredibly $140 dollars I think it was a nice deal. No options to backup an image are being offered at the moment, and that was somewhat frustrating to me.

Well, I'm still hoping that was not a scam, but so far everything is working fine and I don't have anything to complain.

For anyone that would also like to experiment on it but don't want to spend much money, they have a monthly $1 plan for a fairly simple machine(1 core, 512MB memory and 10GB SSD), it might be worth a try! Oh, these prices are also supposed to be a limited time offer, just so you know.

1 comment:

  1. So, how did this turn out? Was it worth the risk that you had assessed earlier? Cloud servers are not that cheap, and I see the need to look for the best deal on the market. If you're unsure of the service's abilities but still want to try it out, I would suggest storing files that you could easily replace, just to be safe. Whatever the results may be, I hope you didn't lose anything, be it files or money. Good luck!

    Erick Brooks @ Ripple Web

    ReplyDelete